It is my big 4 0 today and I have decided that the whole month of May is going to be a celebration! So have lots of fabulous things planned (I mean who needs an excuse such as a birthday to do fabulous things!). Age doesn’t really mean much to me, I strongly believe it is how young you feel inside that matters, so am so happy to be embracing this new decade in my life with a life full of dreams come true, adventure and a whole new world of possibilities.
The champagne will most certainly be popping this weekend as I celebrate whilst here in the UK (I asked the universe to bring on the sunshine too – thank you universe!). I am then off to Paris for a few days to soak up the Parisian lifestyle (and food!) visiting friends and another little French adventure to the lovely “Maison Bussiere” to visit more friends!My friend Di is also over from Australia so cannot wait to spend time with her on our little adventure to France and Spain. Then in a few weeks, I am being whisked away by my best friend in Spain to the beautiful MonteCastillo for a few days of pampering and more exploring. So grateful for my life. 🙂
As my birthday approached this week, I thought about past birthdays and how 40 was such a huge birthday to even think about when I was 20 something…..
So I decided to write a little list for my 20 something self today and I hope they bring a smile or inspire you also. Not in any particular order…….
Here I am in my 20’s looking bewildered!
Dear twenty something self…..
- It’s okay to NOT know what you want to be “when you grow up”. Growing and learning is one of the most fun, important things you can give yourself. You can change careers, jobs, and directions as many times as you want. These are all patchworks and important parts of who you will become. Enjoy the journey.
- Try not to be in too much of a hurry to “grow up”, always look at the world through a child’s eye as if it is something new to explore.
- Find a way to really connect and follow your intuition, even if everyone else is saying not to. Only you truly know. (although your parents are usually always right!)
- Identify all the things you love to do and brainstorm ways you can make them a bigger part of your life, whether to provide income or just create a sense of joy every single day. Life is too short to let this one pass you by.
- If you don’t know what you want to do, travel and spend time away from your usual environment. Embrace new places and cultures with open arms.
- Spend time to think about what you want your life to be like. Create visionboards every year. This is so much fun to do and will help you stay focused on what you what to attract into your life. They are also really lovely to look at everyday.
- Believe that we are all connected and the universe does provide what you need, when you need it. This may not be obvious until later in life!
- Spend as much time as you can outside, with nature, barefoot if you can. This will ground you and make you feel so good.
- Only eat food that is made from scratch (something I wish I had learnt when I was young) avoid soda’s, packaged & processed foods. If your ancestors wouldn’t recognize the ingredient, don’t eat it. Never use the microwave!
- Keep a journal, visual reminders of things you love or places you have explored.
My first birthday! See loved pink then!
- Write down what you are grateful for every day – it changes your outlook on life – I promise.
- Smile and acknowledge EVERYONE you meet and have eye contact with.
- Find that something to collect, write about, create, learn more about and believe in – and give yourself mini projects to grow your knowledge and passion further. You will never be bored and will attract others into your life who are on the same journey.
- Face your fears head on! I went diving in my 20s to overcome my fear of the ocean! I now live by the ocean.
- You are you, you are beautiful and we are all different shapes and sizes. Find the part of you, that defines your best self and celebrate those features.
- Stimulate your external senses everyday – play a favourite song, eat something yummy, take time to see this beautiful world, treat yourself to clothing that makes your skin sing and burn incense or put fresh flowers into your home.
- Move everyday, whether its walking, cycling, running or jumping up and down. It will make you feel so good!
- Spend time learning about yourself, this will save you time worrying about people and lots of confused moments.
- Take time to be an observer, take photos
- YOU ARE creative, don’t ever listen to people who say you are not (especially teachers!). Being creative expands our awareness, our right brain and taps into our genius selves.My 21st birthday!
- Learn to spend time by yourself. Without any other distraction from outside of yourself. It can be scary, but you will learn so much about yourself and feel confident that you are strong enough to stand on your own two feet.
- The most important lesson I have learned is to turn off the TV and do something less boring instead. There is a reason they call it “programming”. Life is to be lived, not to be observed via tv. It’s all pretend! This was one of the best decisions I made in 2009. (yes learnt this one later in life!)
- Slow down, meditate, look around you, enjoy this beautiful world.
- Declutter your home on a regular basis.
- Listen to your body, it knows what you need, when you need it.
- On that note, do not take ‘medicines’ for the sake of taking them, investigate herbal equivalences and other ways to heal, then make your own choice.
- Drink more water!
- The most important relationship and love of your life is YOU. Take care of yourself above all else.
- Love comes in many forms. Finding the love of your life can be amazing, they may not be the one you end up spending your life with, that is okay. You may find that the one true love is your best friend and not always the one you lust after.
- It really is better to have loved and lost, then never to have loved at all.
- Friends care about you, grow with you and support you no matter what. Don’t waste time with people who do not accept you for who you are and what you value.
- You cannot change people but you can change how you react to certain situations. Always see the opportunity every relationship or experience presents to you. They are here to teach you something!
- Anything anyone ever says about you, does to you or criticizes you on, is 99.99999% about them, NOT you.
- Your heart really does make a difference. Love is the answer, be kind to yourself and others. Our heart energy radiates good vibration to bring our own selves joy and the world around us.
- Spend time to listen to your parents and grandparents stories.
- Try your very best not to judge anyone. We are all a work in progress and many experiences dictate how people go about their day to day lives. Try to understand and accept that it’s the way things are. You can support and love, but you cannot change someone who doesn’t want to be changed.
- Be creative everyday.
- Talk to the universe, it is listening.
- Challenge yourself often. Even if its just something like not using the GPS to find a destination, get lost, look at maps and ask directions, you just never know where it might lead you
- Enjoy each and every moment, they are all precious
Thank you everyone who comes and visits me here. Wishing you all a wonderful weekend xxx