Hi everyone, welcome to my series on creating Mixed Media Mandalas over a 100 days. If you are just finding these posts, information can be found over here – 100 days of Mandalas. 🙂
Day 1 of 100 days of mandalas
- Basic compass, pencil and eraser
- 150-300 gram sketchbook paper. I use Canson (if you are adding alot of paint/water, the heavier the better)
- Pilot V ball 0.5 black pen. You can use lots of different black outlining pens, but these are my favourite at the moment.
- Colored pencils from Ikea’s kiddie art section!
I started this lovely project on my 42nd birthday. I thought it would be a great day to start a new series (or should I say ongoing obsession) of mandala artwork and it was also a full moon! We cover so many wonderful mixed media techniques in my online class, that I thought I would revisit many of them to grow my own portfolio of work around mandala art and mandala drawing.
So for week 1, I wanted to just focus on one aspect. All of which are 8 point mandalas which are structured and then to enjoy the simple pleasure of coloring them in.
Here I am on the beach in the morning, enjoying the peaceful time of drawing our my mandala, barefeet in the sand to soak up all of mother earth’s energy.
Would you like to have a go at creating your own mandalas or join the lovely small group of us journeying through this project? If so, here are a few ways to get started:
- Follow me on Instagram here and also on Facebook if you haven’t already done so. Our main hashtag is #100daysofmandalas so you can see some of the lovely people joining or others who are taking part in their own 100 day mandala challenge. I’ll be posting daily.
- Watch the 5 part mandala video series I have in my Free Creative Library to help you get started. (you will just need to sign up to my mailing list to get access)
- Post your drawings or paintings up on Instagram using the hashtag #100daysofmandalas
- If you would like to deep dive further into mandala making, please take a look at my online class: ‘Mixed Media Mandalas” where I host a 4 week class full of techniques and inspiration to grow your own mandala art and explorations.