Every January in-between the NEW & FULL MOON, without fail, you will find me creating a visionboard for the year ahead. I would usually plan this to coincide after the new moon and before the full moon in the “Big Dreams, Small Wonders” online class and host an in-person event at my home (with friends, snacks and lots of lovely champagne!).
My “word of the year’ has been emerging, so more on that after the vision board! I know many of you are raring to get going, so here is my annual “how to” to help you get started. It is so much fun!
The new moon THIS WEEKEND (28 January), is a fabulous time to plant seeds of intentions for what you wish to manifest in your life, so if you have been thinking about creating a Vision Board, you can get started now. More on moon phases here
Below is my vision board from 2016, 2015 which is still hanging up in the studio! as it is sooo pretty. I love my 2014, 2013 board also which are below too! See the post about my 2015 vision board here, and the one about 2014 here and 2013, 2012, 2011 and 2010 here
Before you vision your year ahead, it is also a really great practice to review and celebrate what has passed, you can work through many of the processes I do for each year in my FREE Big Dreams, Small Wonders Planner.
What is a VisionBoard?
Why is it important?
Materials you will need to create a vision board
- Thick card or poster board of any size.
- Magazines of all kinds (you never know where your visions will be found)
- Glue – I like to use acrylic medium which is what I use in my mixed media creations or modge podge – I find it doesn’t ripple the pages like elmers does and lasts longer than a regular glue stick.
- White sage (optional)
- Music – something restful to help your mind be quiet and open. I like soft classical or spa music. (something without words or singing so you don’t get easily distracted with the words)
Remember you don’t have to do this alone. You can invite your family and close friends to take part.
Before you begin – Take part in a ritual to get grounded and prepared
- Put on some uplifting or relaxing music and breathe deeply.
- If you can find yourself a space where you wont get interrupted or plan an event with friends, even better!
- Burn some white sage for purification in the air and to create a clear environment. You can make your own smudge stick here
- Close your eyes, focus on what you would like to invite into your life. Set the intent for the activity.
Lots of smudging in my house!
Types of Vision Boards
There are three main types of visions boards that I have created over the years:
1) The Inviting, allowing and open to the universe Vision Board
Create this vision board if…
- You are not sure what you want yet
- You need to lift your spirits after a time of feeling down or uncertainty
- You know you want to make a change but just not sure how and what.
How to create your board:
Start to go through your magazines and simply tear out images that speak to you, don’t ask why yet, just continue to collect the images and words. Once you are done with collecting these, look through and ask yourself what this image or word might mean for you. If you are not 100% sure, but really like the image or word that’s okay, still put it onto your board, the answer will present itself soon enough. Let your heart and intuition guide you.
My friend Diane, when we created our boards in Sydney 2012
2) “I know what I want in my life” vision board
Create this vision board if….
- You know what you want to invite into your life
- There are clear things you want to manifest in your life
- You want to change your current situation, environment and surroundings
How to create your board:
Go through your magazine and look specifically for images and words you know you want to manifest or bring into your life. i.e. I wish to live in the country and have a veggie garden – look for images of vegetables, countryside and all things relevant.
3) The themed vision board or “Mood board”
Create this vision board if:
- There is a particular area of your life you are looking to work on – your career, health etc
- A big event like planning a wedding, party or holiday
- You are planning on redecorating your home or buying a new wardrobe of clothes and want to collect inspiration
How to create your board:
As above, go through and choose images and words aligned with your theme. This can also be very much like a design mood board. I like to use these on pinterest mostly to collect images of lets say, a space I want to decorate or how I want my balcony to look in the summer.
and…. of course in addition to the visionboards above, you can also create a monthly collage to dive deeper through full moon dream boards.
Visionboard workshop I hosted in the USA, 2011
Steps to Creating Your Vision Board
- Go through your magazines and start collecting images and words that resonate with you (don’t glue anything yet!). Don’t rush, this is a powerful exercise to attract your visions. Then grab the images and words you have collected.
- Start to go through your images and lay them out on your board. This is highly intuitive part of the exercise so feel free to move them about, take out ones that no longer feel right, you may see a theme starting to emerge.
- Firstly position a photo of yourself right in the center, smiling happily to show the expression when all these things come true in your life.
- When you are ready, start to glue your images and words onto the board. You can also draw and add additional words yourself as you build your imagery.
- When you feel like you have completed your board, hang it somewhere prominent for you to see everyday.
There’s no right or wrong way here, just go with your instincts and be open – this is the most important thing. You may be surprised with what comes out!
Feng Shui your board!
Many of you may already know how much I love energy and use it with color and past coaching training. Well, Feng Shui-ing my own environment is definitely on my goal list as I continue to decorate and renovate my apartment in Spain. One year I intuitively mapped out my board aligned with the Feng Shui map and think it does have some extra power in there for manifesting. If you would like to add another element into your visionboard, try this for some fun. :-)
Enjoy! If you would like to dive deeper into dreams, manifesting, setting goals (you will keep) and creating an amazing year ahead, come and join me in the ‘Big Dreams, Small Wonders‘ online class. Still time to sign up, would love for you to join us. More information here.
Join me in this 6 week online class to create Your Amazing Year. Class is now self-paced and you have lifetime access
More info and registration available here